As World Vegetarian Day falls October 1, Head Chef Juan Carlos from Dubai Spanish Restaurant El Sur shares one of the outlet's most loved meat-free recipes, the Fried Eggplant Glazed in Soy and Honey With Burrata.
- For the eggplant:
- 2 big eggplants
- 300ml sunflower oil
- For the honey sauce:
- 100g water
- 100g mirin
- 100g soy sauce
- 100g sugar
- 50g blossom honey
- 1.3g dashi
- Shiso Cress
- Maldon Salt
- 100 gr Burrata
For the eggplant:
- Wash the eggplant and cut it in a cylinder shape of 5cm high.
- Make holes into the flesh by using a thick needle to allow the oil to penetrate and cook the eggplant.
- Fry the eggplant at 140-150degrees Celsius until it's evenly cooked and soft. Place it on top of a paper towel to allow to drain the excess of oil.
For the honey sauce:
- Mix the ingredients pot, and place on a slow fire.
- Reduce half or if you have a kitchen thermometer, until it reaches 112 degrees Celsius. The result must be a fine and shiny sauce.
- Take the burrata and make an incision to take out the cheese separating it from its skin on top of a small bowl.
- Place the cylinders of eggplant on an oven tray and put in an oven on 200 degrees celsius for the space of 8 min.
- Take the eggplants out of the oven and top the eggplants with the honey sauce allowing the sauce to penetrate all the way through.
- Place the eggplants back in the oven for three minutes more.
- Top the plate with a few drops of the honey sauce and place two eggplant cylinders on each.
- Place a tablespoon of burrata cheese on each eggplant and finish off with a few Maldon salt crystals and the Shiso cress.
- Vegetables, Appetizers
- Total Time
- 14 minutes, 59 seconds