Image Source: Getty / Steve Zak
The news that Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck are divorcing still seems kind of fresh, even though it happened way back in mid-2015, but maybe that's because it's been nearly two years, and they still have not legally divorced. In fact, the latest news on the seemingly friendly exes is more confusing than ever — are they getting divorced or are they getting back together? To iron out this celebrity relationship (and allow you to have the proper authority when discussing this with your friends at happy hour), we've put together all the information in one place.
Ben and Jennifer got married in 2015 a private ceremony in Turks and Caicos, while Jennifer was pregnant with their first child, Violet. She gave birth to her later that year, and daughter Seraphina followed in 2009. Samuel was born in 2012. A few years after that, the happy family and iconic Hollywood couple was shaken up with the divorce news. Here's the complete timeline of their divorce updates.
- June: The couple announces their plans to divorce on June 30, just about 10 years to the day of their anniversary. Together, they release the statement: "After much thought and careful consideration, we have made the difficult decision to divorce. We go forward with love and friendship for one another and a commitment to co-parenting our children whose privacy we ask to be respected during this difficult time. This will be our only comment on this private, family matter. Thank you for understanding." A flurry of rumors about why they split circulate, including infidelity.
- August: Ben is spotted with the woman he'd been accused of cheating on Jennifer with: their nanny, Christine Ouzounian. Ben has maintained that he was not unfaithful.
- February: Jennifer drops a series of truth bombs in a tell-all interview with Vanity Fair, and she corroborates that Ben's alleged affair with the nanny wasn't a factor in their split, saying, "She had nothing to do with our decision to divorce. She was not a part of the equation." In the soul-baring interview, Jennifer also calls Ben the love of her life and shares her thoughts on dating post-split.
- March: Days after her interview drops, Ben and Jennifer are seen at the Vanity Fair Oscar party together, and Ben later addresses her interview publicly, complimenting Jennifer and saying it was fine that she talked about it. A few days after that, Jennifer opens up more, talking about how she and Ben were making it work in terms of taking care of their kids together.
- May: The two continue to say nice things about each other in the press and be pictured together while co-parenting. In the meantime, the couple still hadn't filed for divorce, and rumors flew that they might reconcile.
- December: Ben and Jennifer continue to live together to take care of their children, but it's reported that they found it "annoying" to share a home.
Image Source: Getty / Gonzalo
- March: People reports that Jennifer called off the divorce; Us Weekly disputes the story almost immediately, reporting that Jennifer "is still considering a permanent split."
Days later, Ben reveals that he completed treatment for alcohol addiction, publicly posting it on his Facebook page in mid-March. This is just weeks after he had attended the Oscars to present and see brother Casey win an Academy Award; he had reportedly gone with a sober companion.
A few weeks later, Jennifer and Ben are seen laughing it up together, while pal Matt Damon spills on Ben's outlook, saying Ben "couldn't be happier," and that he was taking care of the kids while Jennifer shoots a movie.