Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Wedding Facts
Missed the Royal Wedding? 10 Facts That Will Make You Feel Like You Were There
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle tied the knot in a romantic ceremony at St. George's Chapel at Windsor Palace on May 19. The extravagant nuptials brought out the couple's nearest and dearest including Meghan's mom, Doria Ragland, Kate Middleton, Prince William, Prince George, Princess Charlotte, and Princess Diana's family. Thousands of people from all over the world watched Meghan and Harry exchange "I dos," but if you're like us, and your royal wedding invite got lost in the mail, then these fun tidbits will make you feel like you were a guest.
- Meghan followed in Princess Diana's footsteps. Harry and Meghan read traditional vows from the Book of Common Prayer, but if you listened closely, you would have noticed that Meghan omitted the word "obey," just like Diana did when she married Prince Charles in 1981. Kate Middleton also did the same when she tied the knot with Prince William in 2011.
- Meghan made history. The former Suits actress made a bold feminist statement by choosing to begin her wedding procession alone before joining Prince Charles at the Quire. It was the first time any royal bride has ever walked down the aisle of her wedding without an escort.
- Both Meghan and Harry received new titles. Just hours before the wedding, Queen Elizabeth II announced that Harry is now the His Royal Highness The Duke of Sussex, making Meghan Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Sussex.
- It was a star-studded affair. Stars like David and Victoria Beckham, Oprah Winfrey, Priyanka Chopra, Serena Williams, Tom Hardy, and George and Amal Clooney were all on hand for the event, as well as Meghan's former Suits costars.
- Harry's exes attended the wedding. Cressida Bonas and Chelsy Davy both attended the nuptials, and according to Us Weekly, Meghan was totally OK with it.
- Meghan's veil told a story. Per Meghan's request, the veil, which was designed by Givenchy's Clare Waight Keller, featured flora from every single commonwealth country.
- Meghan stuck to tradition. Meghan's "something old" was Queen Mary's diamond bandeau tiara, which was lent to Meghan by Queen Elizabeth II.
- Meghan took a page out of Kate Middleton's playbook. Meghan reportedly didn't have a makeup artist for the wedding, just like Kate didn't for hers in 2011. Instead, she had two of her close friends help her out.
- Meghan's dad wasn't in attendance. Unfortunately, Thomas Markle missed the wedding as he was recovering from his recent heart surgery, but he did share his emotional reaction to TMZ. "My baby looks beautiful, and she looks very happy," he said. "I wish I were there, and I wish them all my love and all happiness."
- Harry and Prince Charles shared an incredibly sweet moment during the ceremony. After Charles walked Meghan up to the altar, Harry looked over at Charles and told him, "Thank you, Pa." Aw!
Image Source: Getty / BEN BIRCHALL