It's true, in five minutes and five moves, you can tone your entire body. Perfect for those traveling over the holidays, these exercises don't require equipment and can be done anywhere. Set the stopwatch on your phone, and get ready to feel the burn. Time is tickin'!
Arms: One-Legged Push-Up
- Start on your hands and knees.
- Extend your left leg behind you so it's parallel with the floor. Engage your abs.
- With your leg extended, bend your elbows lowering your torso toward the floor while keeping your left heel in line with your left hip. Straighten your elbows to push yourself away from the floor.
- Repeat for a total of 30 seconds then lift your right leg for another 30 seconds.
Backside: Standing Booty Kicks
- Stand tall, and place your hands on your hips.
- Put all the weight in your left leg, keep both legs straight, and lift your right leg directly behind you. Let your glutes do all the work. Keep your right foot flexed, and work on lifting your heel as high as you can without leaning your torso too far forward. Engage your abs to help you stay balanced.
- Then lower your right leg so it's parallel with your left, but don't let it touch the ground. Then lift it back up behind you.
- Repeat this move for 30 seconds at a moderate pace. Then lift your left leg, and repeat the same movement for another 30 seconds.
- Lie on your back, and reach your arms rigidly to your side, off the floor. Lift your legs off the floor, and point them so they are at about a 45-degree angle. Lift your head so your shoulders are off the floor as well.
- When ready to begin, lift your upper torso off the floor, and bend your knees. You can lean back to make this move harder or come up more to make it easier. Lower back down to the floor so your legs are straight out and your back is on the floor but not your head, shoulders, or legs.
- Repeat for one minute. Keep your abs engaged as you perform this move instead of relying on gravity; if it gets too hard, then keep your knees bent as you lower down.
Legs: Wide Squat
- To start, keep your hands clasped in front of your chest as shown. Step your feet apart so there's about 20 inches between your heels. Point your toes out slightly.
- Bend your knees and elbows, keep your shoulders over your hips, and lower down so your weight is back in your heels. Then straighten your legs and arms.
- Repeat this movement for one minute.
Obliques: Twisting Side Elbow Plank
- Come into an elbow plank on your right side, with your feet stacked one on top of the other. Rest your weight on your right elbow with your fingers reaching away from your body, palm down.
- Place your left arm behind your head, and inhale to prepare.
- Exhale and pull your navel to your spine to engage your deep abs, and rotate your left rib cage toward the floor. Stay there for a second, and deepen your abdominal connection, pulling your navel in toward your spine even more.
- Return to starting position, and repeat for 30 seconds. Switch sides and repeat the motion for another 30 seconds.