The Dubai Standard Chartered Marathon is just two weeks away and if you haven't taken part in a marathon before, the prospect can be rather daunting. So if you've created the pumping playlist you need and pounded the pavements harder than ever before get prepped for the big day but still feel like there's something missing, this might be the final piece of the puzzle to help take your running to the next level – the Apple Watch. I've spoken before about how it's a savior in terms of reducing stress and anxiety, plus helping me stay fit in general, now here are six reasons it could helpmeet you through all those miles.
1. It tracks your heart rate
Tracking your heart rate whilst running allows you to gauge your progress so you can achieve your marathon goals. Users get deeper insights into their heart rate. Whether you're a beginner taking on the challenge or an athlete, you will be able to see your average and highest heart rate reading, and your recovery rates. A lower resting heart rate and a shorter recovery time can be an indication that your fitness levels are improving.
2. It has a built-in GPS
While a regular watch can tell the time, the Apple Watch with it's built-in GPS can record the distance, speed, and the route of your workouts. GPS can push your training further and help you reach your running goals.
3. The apps are awesome
You can access a variety of health and wellness apps right from your wrist including:
1. Work Out App: The Work Out app will track your runs as well as a wide variety of workouts. By using custom motion and heart rate algorithms, it can accurately measure active and total calorie burn.
2. Nike+ Run Club app: Runners out there, the latest version of Nike+ Run Club app now includes audio-guided runs featuring the voices of Nike+ Run Club Global Head Coach Chris Bennett, Olympic gold medalist Mo Farah, or comedian Kevin Hart. You can choose and train to your favorite playlists.
3. Breathe App: Medical experts have long maintained that deep-breathing exercises can provide a wide range of health benefits such as cardiovascular improvements. The Breathe app encourages you to take moments in your day to do short deep breathing sessions.
4. It keeps you motivated
The Activity app gives you personal and intelligent progress updates to help you stay motivated. If you've side tracked during your marathon training, your Apple Watch will nudge you to get you back in the game. When you set a personal record of miles run, it will celebrate your achievements with festive full screen effects and awards.
5. It plays your favorite music
If you're about to run for hours on end, you'll need to be synced to the music you love and you can do that straight from your Apple Watch. Your favorite curated playlists will intelligently sync right on your watch making the running experience even more enjoyable.
6. Your safety means everything
A feature we hope you never use, but just in case you have an emergency, you can activate the SOS feature by holding down the side button for a few seconds. This will automatically call emergency services and send a text and your exact location to your emergency contacts.