Upgrade your lower body workout with this enhancing squat variation! By loading the front of your body the main muscles worked in a front squat are the quadriceps, with back squats recruiting the hamstrings, glutes and hips. Incorporate this exercise into to your lower body routine for strong, sexy legs!
Here's how to do it:
- Start with a loaded barbell; 65 - 75 pounds is a great starting point. Beginners should start with just the barbell, gradually adding weight as you become familiar with the movement.
- Position your hands about shoulders with apart on the barbell and lightly grip the bar.
- Rest the bar on your clavicle and shoulders as you lift your elbows up. Your elbows should go as high as your mobility allows.
- With your feet about hips distance apart lift the barbell off the rack. Take 1 to 2 steps backwards.
- Shift your weight back, into your heels. Brace your abs as you begin to lower into a squat, keeping your head and back straight. Your knees should be as close to ninety degrees as possible.
- With your core still braced, drive through your heels to stand back up. Be sure to squeeze your glutes at the top of your squat.
- That's one rep.
- Do three sets of 8.