To make this recipe you will need an empty tea satchel for the spices. As an alternative, whole spices can be substituted for the ground spices. If using whole spices, tie them together in a cheesecloth or use a stainless steel tea infuser.
This recipe is easily adaptable. Play around with the spices to better suits your tastes, and feel free to use different fruit for the garnish.
- 1.5 liter bottle of inexpensive red wine
Zest from 1 lemon
Zest from 1 orange
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 tablespoon cloves
1/2 tablespoon ginger
1/2 tablespoon nutmeg
Honey or agave nectar, to taste
Orange slices or cinnamon sticks for garnish
- Pour wine into large saucepan and cook over low heat.
- Add lemon and orange zest to the wine.
- Place the spices into an empty tea satchel. Put the satchel into the saucepan and brew the mixture for 30 minutes.
- Add sweetener of your choice to taste.
- Pour the wine through a strainer and serve in heatproof glasses. Garnish each glass with a sliced orange or cinnamon stick.
- Drinks, Cocktails
- 10-12 servings