With only 6 grams of sugar but a whopping 16 grams of protein, these vanilla waffles are going to be your new breakfast BFF. And they've got a powerhouse gluten-free ingredient you're going to want to start using all the time — protein-packed chickpea flour.
We met this recipe's creator — Lori Zanini, RD, CDE — at the Tone It Up retreat earlier this year, and she immediately introduced us to new recipes, healthy tips, and told us about her newest cookbook,
"Spotted with flaxseed meal, which adds fiber and omega-3 fatty acids, these waffles can easily replace your buttermilk version for the better," said Lori. "Skip the syrup, and instead, top them with a tangy yogurt sauce that complements the vanilla favor of the waffles."
Whether you're managing your diabetes, watching your blood sugar, or just cutting back on sugar, we think you're going to love this yummy, comforting breakfast recipe — one that's totally good for your body.
Chickpea flour is a great gluten-free flour substitute. You can find chickpea flour in most grocery stores or online.
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
1 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
1 1/2 cups chickpea flour
3 tablespoons flaxseed meal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 medium egg
1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, stir the chia seeds into the yogurt. Set aside.
- Preheat a waffle iron on high. Preheat the oven to its lowest setting (typically around 160ºF).
- In a mixing bowl, combine the chickpea four, flaxseed meal, baking powder, and salt. Mix well.
- In a small bowl, mix the egg, almond milk, coconut oil, and vanilla. Pour the wet mixture into the mixing bowl, and stir to combine.
- Drop 1/4-cup portions of the batter onto the hot waffle iron, close, and cook until the waffle easily pulls away from the iron when opened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer each finished waffle to the rack in the oven to keep warm and crisp until serving time. Serve the waffles with the yogurt-chia mixture spooned over the top.
- North American
- Calories per serving