These vegan red velvet brownies have an unlikely ingredient: beets! Not only are they great for your health, but they give this dessert a gorgeous red color, naturally. The best of this recipe? The vegan cream cheese frosting that tastes like the real deal. Who knew vegan brownies could taste this good?
- 1 1/4 cups coconut sugar
- 1 cup diced raw beets
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup canola or grapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups white whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Nonstick baking spray
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup cultured vegan butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup maple sugar
- 1 teaspoon beetroot powder
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Place coconut sugar, beets, almond milk, oil, lemon juice, and vanilla in a food processor and puree. Place flour, baking powder, and salt into a large mixing bowl. Sift cocoa powder into bowl and whisk to combine. Add beet mixture to dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Pour batter into a 9x9-inch baking pan sprayed with baking spray. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Place vegan cream cheese, vegan butter, and maple sugar in a small glass bowl and beat with an electric hand mixer until smooth and creamy. Remove one cup of icing and spread onto brownies in a smooth, even layer.
- Add beet root powder to remaining frosting and stir. Microwave on medium for 30 seconds and stir again until icing is smooth and bright red. Place colored frosting in a pastry bag and cut off tip. Pipe onto frosted brownies in a diagonal zigzag pattern. Using a bamboo skewer, swirl frosting in a zigzag pattern in the opposite direction to create a marbled effect. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes to set frosting.
- Desserts, Brownies
- 9 servings
- Total Time
- 1 hour