- 1 large butternut squash (about 3 pounds)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 medium size onion, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
3 cups light coconut milk
3 cups vegetable stock
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Optional Garnish: nonfat Greek yogurt, chopped cilantro, toasted cashews
- Bake squash on baking tray at 400 degrees, about an hour, until you can stick a knife through it with no resistance.
- When cool enough to handle, cut squash in half, scoop out the seeds and discard, then scoop out pulp and set aside.
- Place oil in 6-quart soup pot over high heat and sauté onion until it is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add celery, curry, turmeric, cumin, and coriander and sauté for 5 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of water to pot, cover, and cook for about 7 minutes until celery is very tender, stirring occasionally. Add more water if needed.
- Place soft veggies in food processor along with pulp of squash and blend until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Place pureed veggie mixture in soup pot. Add coconut milk and salt; whisk until well mixed. Heat mixture over medium heat until soup until soup is warm. Stir in lemon juice.
- Garnish each bowl with yogurt, chopped cilantro, and nuts, or any combination of the three. Serve warm.
- Calories per serving