6 Reasons to Make Your Own Snack Packs
- Prevents overeating: These snack packs make portion control easy, preventing you from mindlessly reaching into the box or bag for more. Measuring out servings gives you a better handle on what a portion size should actually look like.
- You get to choose the snacks: There's such a limited variety of the pre-packaged snacks available at the store, so this hack lets you choose what you like. Make small containers or baggies of raw almonds, pretzels, gluten-free crackers, or you can even portion out homemade snacks like protein balls, granola bars, or popcorn with nutritional yeast.
- You get to choose the portion size: You can measure by amount, such one-quarter cup or one ounce, or you can measure by calorie amount, making 100- or 150-calorie snack packs. In these containers, I used a food scale to measure out 24 grams of raw almonds and 26 grams of salted peanuts, which is about 150 calories.
- Saves money: Individually wrapped snacks cost more than buying in bulk, or even just buying one regular-sized package of the item.
- Good for the environment: I often use reusable containers to store my portions, but I also use plastic baggies and wash and re-use those. The snack packs you'd buy at the store waste so much packaging.
- They're easy: It's a cinch to measure out portions and add them to containers, but prepping snack packs also makes healthy snacking easy — just grab them and go!