- Select your desired weight on the weight stack and insert the pin. A good weight to start with for beginners is five pounds. If you're more advanced, try 10 to 17.5 pounds.
- Start in a seated position on the machine with your back flat against the backrest and your legs underneath the pad. Make any necessary adjustments to the pad so that it's right above your ankle.
- With your right leg still bent at a 90-degree angle, grip the side handles while maintaining a relaxed upper-body position.
- Using your left quadriceps, begin to extend your left leg until it is fully extended. Hold for one second.
- Slowly lower back down to your start position.
- That's one rep.
*To modify this exercise, extend both legs at the same time and increase the weight to 20 to 30 pounds.