"An excellent packable lunch is a grain bowl," said Kelly Krikhely, MS, RD, CDN. "The best part is that there are so many different combinations you can try, with a wide range of potential toppings and seasonings, that it helps keep meals exciting." She recommended mixing up your faves of the following:
- Whole grain base: quinoa or farro
- Protein: chicken, egg, tofu, beans
- Hardy vegetables: bell peppers, broccoli
- Greens: Kelly recommended kale, which holds up better than other greens. You could also pack spinach or arugula separately and add it before you eat.
- Dressing: a squeeze of citrus or vinegar, plus herbs and spices of your choice.
Rachel Fine, RD, owner of To The Pointe Nutrition in New York, also recommended adding avocado on top. Avocados are high in the monounsaturated fats, she explained, "which helps with reducing spikes in blood sugar when incorporated as a balanced meal or snack with other foods."