Best Strength-Training Exercises For Beginners
6 Strength-Training Exercises Every Beginner Should Know, According to Trainers
Photo 1 of 6
"The bodyweight squat is one of the most functional exercises we as humans can perform because it promotes full hip range of motion and helps to strengthen our largest muscle group: the glutes," Jared Aguilar, PT, DPT, a physical therapist and fitness coach at Reach Outcomes, told POPSUGAR. He also explained that squats help strengthen the hamstrings, quadriceps, abdominals, and the lower-back muscles.
- Stand up straight with your head facing forward. Pick a spot at eye level to focus on.
- Place your feet slightly wider than shoulder-width apart.
- Push your chest up and outward and hold your hands straight out in front of you, palms facing down.
- Begin the exercise by lowering your glutes down like you're going to sit on a chair or bench.
- Continue down until your thighs are parallel to the ground. Your weight should be in your heels.
- Finish the move by pushing up through your heels and rising back to the standing, or starting, position.