Making this layered Qahwa Nougat Cake from Bateel certainly isn't easy but if you consider yourself a boss in the kitchen, we challenge you to take this on!
- ALMOND GENOISE SPONGE
1 teaspoon baking powder
50g powdered almonds
50g melted butter
- QAHWA MOUSSE
1 egg yolk
60g white chocolate (pieces)
85ml cream (35%)
8g coffee extract
1 leaf gelatin
3 cardamom pods
20g almond flakes
- NOUGAT MOUSSE
1 egg white
100ml cream (35%)
2 leaves gelatin
Coffee beans and chocolate sprinkles (enough to decorate the cake)
ALMOND GENOISE SPONGE
- Whip eggs and sugar together until light, pale and creamy (this should take about 10 minutes).
- Using a large metal spoon, fold sifted flour and baking powder into the egg mixture.
- Add half of the powdered almonds and repeat the folding process, and once again with the remaining powdered almonds until all are carefully incorporated.
- Drizzle the melted butter around the edge of the egg mixture and carefully fold in trying to keep the mixture as light as possible.
- Pour the mixture into a 20 cm buttered and floured cake tin lined with baking parchment.
- Bake at 180 °C fan oven for 15 minutes. Use a skewer to test if cooked through.
- Cool on a wire rack.
ASSEMBLING THE CAKE
- Cut the cold almond sponge into two even halves.
- Spread half of the raspberry mousse onto the nut and date mixture.
- Cover with one layer of sponge. Spread with the remaining raspberry mousse. Top with the second layer of sponge.
- Shell the cardamom and crush the seeds.
- Infuse the crushed cardamom seeds in the cream for 10 minutes.
- Put the pieces of white chocolate in a bowl. Strain the cream while pouring over the chocolate.
- Add the egg yolk and mix well.
- Soak the gelatin in some cold water until it melts, then add to the mix.
- Add the coffee extract.
- Place a first disk of dacquoise sponge in a 20 cm diameter baking ring. Pour in the qahwa mousse mixture.
- Cover with another disc of dacquoise sponge and store in freezer for half an hour.
- Heat the sugar in a little water until it becomes a light caramel.
- Add the almond flakes.
- Pour onto a mat of baking paper. Let cool until completely cold.
- Whisk the egg white and sugar into a meringue.
- Soak the gelatin in some cold water until it melts. Mix the melted gelatin with the cream.
- Fold the gelatin/cream mix delicately into the meringue.
ASSEMBLING THE CAKE
- Add the crushed nougatine to the nougat mousse.
- Pour the mixture into the baking ring over the layer of dacquoise sponge. Freeze for two hours.
- Decorate the cake with coffee beans and chocolate sprinkles.