Umbrian beans replace traditional fava beans in this popular Arabic recipe from Bateel. Enjoy!
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
3 cloves chopped garlic
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
200g Umbrian beans/farmer’s mix
100g borlotti beans
1000ml vegetable stock (use stock powder or cube to prepare)
Salt (to taste)
25g finely chopped onion
50g diced tomato
- Soak the beans in water for 24 hours.
- Next, boil them in salted water until they are tender for approximately 1 hour.
- Strain and set aside.
- Sauté the chopped onion and garlic in olive oil.
- Add the cooked beans.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and simmer for about 25 minutes, until the mixture thickens.
- Serve hot in a large bowl garnished with olive oil, chopped onion and diced tomato.
- Mediterranean/Middle Eastern
Image Source: Bateel