Carrot cake may be an American invention, but that doesn't mean we can't put our own twist with a few commonly-used Middle Eastern ingredients. Earthy pistachios and sweet pomegranates make for an unexpected duo, but also add a complex layer of flavor to this much loved treat. Keep reading to see the easy step-by-step recipe from Spinneys for a decadent Carrot & Pistachio Cake with Pomegranate Syrup.
- 200g Spinneys Food All-Purpose Flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 60g grated carrots
- 40g roasted pistachios, chopped
- 200g Spinneys Food White Sugar
- 140g butter
- 3 Spinneys Food Organic Free-Range Eggs
- 6 tbsp almond milk
- Pomegranate seeds and chopped pistachios to garnish
- For the syrup:
- 250ml pomegranate juice
- 125g spinneysFOOD White Sugar
For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 190°C, gas mark 5 and grease an 8-inch cake tin.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl Add grated carrots and roasted pistachios.
- Put the sugar and butter into the mixing bowl. Add the eggs (one at a time) and combine.
- Add the almond milk and mix on medium speed until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the cake tin and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until no batter sticks to a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake.
For the syrup:
- Pour the pomegranate juice and sugar into a saucepan.
- Simmer over medium heat until the mixture reaches a syrupy consistency. Cool completely before using.
- Trim top of the cake.
- Brush cooled pomegranate syrup on top and side of the cake.
- Sprinkle pomegranate seeds onto the centre of the cake and dust the side with chopped pistachios.
- Mediterranean/Middle Eastern
- Cook Time
- 1 hour 25 minutes