If you've never had a soda cake before, you're missing out. Adding a little Dr Pepper to the batter creates fluffy, light, and delicately sweet treats. The hint of cherry and soda gummies take this recipe to a whole other level. You need to make this ASAP!
For more sweet cupcakes, check out our Surprise-Inside Lucky Charms Cupcakes.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (12-ounce) bottle Dr Pepper Made With Cane Sugar
1 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 large eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup butter
5 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup cream cheese
5 tablespoons Dr Pepper
1 tablespoon maraschino cherry juice
Maraschino cherries, for garnish
Dr Pepper gummy candies, for garnish
- To make cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a cupcake tin with wrappers.
- Into a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugars, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a small sauce pan over medium-high heat, add Dr Pepper, butter, and cocoa powder. Cook for a couple minutes until a boil starts to form. Pour into flour mixture.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla until blended. Add to batter and mix. Pour into cupcake liners 3/4 of the way full and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- To make icing: Into a medium-size bowl, whip butter until light and fluffy. Beat in sugar, followed by cream cheese. Then slowly beat in Dr Pepper and cherry juice.
- To assemble: Frost cupcakes and garnish with Dr Pepper or cola gummy, maraschino cherry, and a small straw.
- Desserts, Cupcakes
- Makes: 24 cupcakes
- Total Time
- 34 minutes, 59 seconds