- 40 saltine crackers
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 cup unsalted butter
12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup roasted almonds, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Place the saltines side by side on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, bring the butter and sugar just to a boil and cook for about 3 minutes, until thicker, but not until it becomes caramel.
- Pour butter and sugar mixture over saltines, and place in oven for 3 minutes, or until very bubbly.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips all over the saltine mess, and place back in the oven for 1 minute.
- Remove from the oven. Using an offset spatula, spread chocolate evenly over the saltines. Sprinkle lightly with chopped almonds.
- Allow to cool. Place cookie sheet in freezer for about an hour to set. Once hardened, remove and break into rustic pieces.
- Desserts, Candy
- North American
- Makes about a 16-inch-by-12-inch sheet of toffee, or 15 to 25 pieces of toffee
- Total Time
- 14 minutes, 59 seconds