Add some Mediterranean vibes to your next weekend roast with this Greek-Style Lamb Kleftico recipe from Spinneys. We promise it's worth the 5-hour cooking time!
- 1 garlic bulb
1 and 1⁄2 lemons
2.8kg bone-in leg of lamb
1kg spinneysFOOD Baby Potatoes
2 red onions, cut into wedges
400g spinneysFOOD Cherry Tomatoes
285g jar spinneysFOOD Roasted Red Peppers
2 bay leaves
spinneysFOOD Mint leaves
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp spinneysFOOD Freeze Dried Oregano
4 rosemary sprigs, leaves picked and finely chopped
1tsp spinneysFOOD Fine Cinnamon
6 garlic crushed cloves
1. Combine the oil, oregano, rosemary, cinnamon, crushed garlic and juice of 1⁄2 lemon. Season well.
2. Make small incisions all over the lamb. Massage the paste into the skin. Cover and marinate in the fridge overnight.
3. Preheat the oven to 170°C, gas mark 3. Tip the potatoes into a casserole dish. Add the onions, tomatoes and peppers (and the oil). Halve the garlic bulb and remaining lemon and add with the bay leaves. Season and turn to coat.
4. Pour in 300ml water. Sit the lamb on top, cover with damp greaseproof paper then wrap with foil. Cook for 41⁄2-5 hours, until the lamb is very tender.
5. Increase the oven to 220°C, gas mark 7. Discard the foil and paper then roast for 10 minutes more until the skin is golden. Remove the lamb to rest.
6. Return the dish to the oven for 10-15 minutes, until the sauce has reduced.
7. Carve three-quarters of the lamb into slices. Divide among four plates with the vegetables.
- Total Time
- 5 hours, 29 minutes, 59 seconds