Layali Lubnan is a cold semolina infused with rose water and topped with cream and sugar syrup, which means barely any cooking is involved. We've got the recipe of a modernized healthy twist on this classic Lebanese dessert thanks to Spill the Bean coffee shop in Dubai's Jumeirah 3.
- 4 cups cold milk
- 1 cups semolina
- 1 egg
- 1.5 tablespoons rose water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon rose water
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Orange zest
- Finely chopped pistachio nuts
- Edible rose petals
- Toasted almond slices
- Toasted coconut
- Honey to taste
- In a bowl, whisk egg, rosewater and honey until perfectly combined. Set aside for later use.
- Bring the milk to a boil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Reduce the heat, and incorporate the semolina, stirring continuously to avoid lumps. Keep stirring on low heat till the mixture thickens and boils for 1 minute.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the egg mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a large serving dish of choice, or individual dishes.
- Allow the pudding to cool. Refrigerate, covered, for a few hours or overnight.
- Mix yogurt with cinnamon, orange zest, cinnamon and rose water.
- To serve, top with generous dollops of the yogurt mixture and garnish with pistachios, coconut, rose petals and toasted almonds. Drizzle some honey to taste.
- Desserts, Puddings/Mousse
- Mediterranean/Middle Eastern