We love Girl Scout cookie season, but what if you find yourself hankering for Thin Mints with no box to be found? Lucky for you, we've developed a homemade version, so you can satisfy the craving any time of the year.
Avoid touching your eyes and be sure that you don't have any cuts on your hands when working with peppermint extract. It burns like jalapeños!
When cooking, be sure to turn on the vent or open a window to avoid any eye irritation.
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons peppermint extract
1 12-ounce package dark chocolate candy melts
1 12-ounce package green candy melts
- Preheat the oven to 325° F. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat shortening over medium speed until creamy, about 1 minute. Add sugar and mix for another minute. Add egg and peppermint extract and mix until smooth and sugar has dissolved. Lower mixer speed and slowly add the flour until a thick dough forms. It will be slightly dry and crumbly.
- Roll 1-inch balls of dough and place onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving 1 1/2 inches of space between cookies. Gently flatten each mound of dough with the bottom of a cup until about 1/4-inch thick. If cookies stick to the cup, carefully pry them loose with your thumb. Sprinkle a little cocoa powder on the bottom of the cup to avoid sticking. Bake for 7 minutes, rotate the baking sheets, and bake for 7 minutes more. Let stand on the baking sheets for about 10 minutes, until cool enough to touch.
- Meanwhile follow the package instructions to melt dark chocolate candy melts. Fit a cooling rack over a half sheet pan. Dunk each cookie into the melted chocolate, use a spatula to remove excess, and place in a single layer on top of the cooling rack. Do not let cookies touch. Allow chocolate to set by refrigerating or freezing the cookies for about 15 minutes.
- Once chocolate has set, remove cookies from the fridge or freezer. Follow the package instructions to melt green candy melts. Drizzle melted green chocolate over the cookies decoratively. Set in fridge or freezer before devouring!
- Desserts, Cookies
- 28 to 30 cookies