These sweet and sticky balls of fried dough aren't only popular in Arabic countries, but also in Mediterranean regions like Greece and Cyprus too. They're quick to whip up and require just a few basic ingredients. Although there are several variations, the Arabic recipe calls for, you guessed it, date syrup. Indulge in your sweet tooth at Suhoor with Spinneys' recipe for Luqaimat.
- 340g Spinneys Food All-Purpose Flour
170g Milk powder
1 tsp Instant yeast
1 tsp Corn starch
Spinneys Food Salt
240ml Warm water
Spinneys Food Sunflower Oil, for frying
10ml date syrup
Sesame seeds, to serve
- Mix the flour, milk powder, instant yeast, corn starch, and salt in a large bowl.
- Gradually add the warm water to the dry mixture.
- Mix until the batter is well incorporated.
- Preheat the oil and, using a spoon, drop the batter into the oil and fry until the luqaimat are golden.
- Drain, then drizzle with date syrup, sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve while still hot.
- Mediterranean/Middle Eastern
- Total Time
- 14 minutes, 59 seconds