Here's a delicious, perfectly balanced breakfast that's rich in protein, monounsaturated fats, carbohydrate and fiber. It's also a good way of getting your iron. Jazz it up with any of the suggested toppings.
Anita Bean is an accredited sports nutritionist working with the British Olympic Association and Swim England, and has created this recipes exclusively for Speedo.
- 1 Egg
- 1 Slice wholegrain or sourdough bread
- 1⁄2 Avocado
- Sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch fresh or dried herbs (parsley, thyme or basil)
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS: pinch red chili flakes; few cherry tomatoes, halved
- Bring a pan of water to the boil. Crack an egg into a cup, then slip it into the water. Alternatively, crack the egg into a silicone egg poacher and place this in the boiling water.
- Reduce the heat and poach for about 4 minutes until the white is just set.
- While the egg is cooking, toast the bread.
- Using a fork, roughly mash the avocado on the toast.
- When the egg is cooked, use a slotted spoon to lift it out of the water and place on top of the toast.
- Sprinkle with salt, freshly ground black pepper, herbs and chili flakes (if using) and scatter over the tomatoes (if using).
- Total Time
- 4 minutes
- Calories per serving