Even if you hate Marmite usually, these courgette rolls filled with Jasmine rice will make you discover a new liking for the vitamin B-packed spread.
- FOR THE PUREE:
- 100g jasmine rice
- 1-liter mineral water
- 50g cream
- 100g marmite
- 15g Agar agar
- 2 x gelatin sheet
- 2g salt
- 2 x CO2 gas cream whipper chargers
- FOR THE PICKLED COUGETTES:
- 100g white vinegar
- 50g castor sugar
- 5g salt
- 5g ascorbic acid / vitamin C powder
- JOBS TEARS:
- 50g jobs tears / coix seed
- 1-liter water
- 50g marmite
- Wash the rice, drain and bring up to the boil in the mineral water, simmer until grains are breaking (around 30 minutes), soak gelatin sheets in iced water until soft, squeeze them to remove excess water, drain rice and blend in a food processor with marmite, cream, salt and the squeezed dry gelatin leaves.
- Pour into a tray and cool, whisk the agar powder in to the cooled rice puree in a deep saucepan and bring up to almost boiling which will activate the agar (carefully as will catch and burn at the bottom of the pan so always keep stirring and this also will spit) pour into a blender and blend for 30 seconds, again pour into a tray and set cold.
- Blend the cold mixture again strain through a fine mesh chinois/conicle strainer/sieve and pour into a cream whipper/siphon. Add 2 gas chargers and give a good shake.
- Leave to rest for 30 mins.
FOR THE PICKLED COURGETTES:
- Slice the courgettes 1mm thick longways using a meat slicer machine or a Japanese mandolin/benriner to give you nice long strips that can be rolled up.
- Lay all strips evenly in a deep dish, bring all ingredients to the boil, cool the liquid and then pour over courgettes to cover, leave for 3 hours in the chiller to marinade before using.
- Wash the seeds then bring up to the boil and cook until soft (around 45 minutes) drain and spread on a tray evenly then dehydrate at 75 degrees Celsius for 24 hours or until fully dried.
- Boil 50g water and add the marmite set to one side.
- Heat a pan frying oil to around 220 degrees Celsius being very careful, using a sieve submerge the seeds into the oil so the puff up then remove and roll into the marmite liquid, completely coating each seed and spread on a tray again, dehydrating for an hour until marmite is dry and no longer sticky.
- To serve, roll up 7 courgette strips leaving room for the jasmine rice mousse, place some crispy jobs tears inside the rings, then gently fill each one with mousse, finishing by sprinkling the jobs tears over the top and scattering around the outside of the courgettes.