The secret to thick, fluffy pancakes is to not overmix. Gemma's trick is to stir it enough times to spell P.A.N.C.A.K.E. and then stop. Lumps are OK, so resist the urge to mix more!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus more for greasing
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup strawberry jam
Powdered sugar for dusting
- In a bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract until smooth. Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and start lightly mixing together.
- Place batter in the refrigerator for 10 minutes. This helps the butter to chill and bubbles to form in the batter.
- Heat a heavy-bottom frying pan or griddle on medium-low heat. Add a little vegetable oil and spoon 1 big spoonful of batter per pancake. While that's cooking, add a small dollop of jam in the middle of the pancake and then top it with 1 more spoonful of pancake batter over the top to conceal it. Cook for roughly 4 minutes on one side. When you see bubbles start to form on the top of the pancake and the edges start to turn brown, they are ready to flip. Flip and cook for an additional 4 to 5 minutes, or until brown.
- Remove from heat, sprinkle with powdered sugar, dollop more jelly on top, and enjoy!
- 4-6 servings
- Total Time
- 39 minutes, 59 seconds