Chef Abhinav Kaushik at Movenpick Ibn Battuta's Mistral restaurant in Dubai shares his recipe for Khurtmani Fig and Pistachio Ice Cream with Poached Figs and Pistachio Crumble.
- For the Khurtmani Fig and Pistachio Ice Cream:
1 lb. ripe figs, stemmed and quartered
1⁄4 cup honey
2 tbsp. light brown sugar
1 1⁄2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
½ tsp salt
½ cup pistachio paste
1 stick cinnamon
1⁄2 cup sugar
2 egg yolks
1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
1⁄2 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
- For the Poached Figs:
2 cup water
¼ cup honey
2 table spoon sugar
½ vanilla pod
1 cinnamon stick
- For the Pistachio Crumble:
1 cup butter
½ cup pistachio powder
1 cup flour
½ cup almond powder
For the Fig and Pistachio Ice Cream:
- Bring figs, honey, brown sugar, lemon juice, 1⁄2 tsp salt, cinnamon, and 1⁄3 cup water to a boil in a 2-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, until figs break down and mixture is thickened like jam, about 35 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Using a hand mixer, beat sugar and egg yolks in a bowl until pale yellow, about 5 minutes. Boil cream, milk, and vanilla, and add egg yolk mixture then cook to 85 degree Celsius.
- Combine pistachio paste and fig jam and fold into mixture.
- Pour into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.
For the Poached Figs:
- Bring honey, brown sugar, cinnamon, and water to a boil in a 2-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add figs once boiled and simmer for 5 minutes.
For the Pistachio Crumble:
- Mix all ingredients together for the crumble mixture.
- Bake at 180c for 12 mins.
- Mediterranean/Middle Eastern