This zesty dessert not only makes a pretty picture but it's various textures and tastes will satisfy your tummy and tastebuds in one go. Here's Spinneys' recipe for Lemon Meringue Loaf.
- 1 lemon drizzle loaf (recipe below)
4 tbsp lemon curd
2 spinneysFOOD Free Range Eggs, whites only
50g spinneysFOOD Caster Sugar
50g spinneysFOOD Icing Sugar, sifted
1 tsp cornflour
- For the lemon drizzle loaf:
200g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
280g spinneysFOOD Caster Sugar
3 spinneysFOOD Free Range Eggs
125g spinneysFOOD Self-Raising Flour
75g ground almonds
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp lemon curd
Zest and juice of 2 lemons (approx 100ml juice)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Grease and line a 1.5-liter loaf tin.
- Put the butter and 180g sugar in a bowl. Beat with an electric hand whisk until pale and fluffy.
- One at a time, beat in the eggs. Stir in the flour, ground almonds, baking powder, lemon curd and lemon zest.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared tin and level the surface with a spoon. Bake for 40-45 minutes, covering with foil after 25 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Combine the lemon juice and remaining sugar. Use a skewer to pierce holes right through the warm loaf then spoon the drizzle over the top. Leave to cool in the tin.
- Make sure the loaf is completely cold before carefully slicing horizontally into 3 even layers.
- Place the bottom loaf layer crust-side down on a cake stand or plate and spread with 2 tbsp lemon curd. Place the middle layer of sponge on top then spread with the remaining lemon curd. Top with the final layer of sponge.
- Put the egg whites, both sugars and the cornflour in a large heatproof bowl. Beat with an electric hand whisk until combined then set over a pan of barely simmering water.
- Continue to whisk for 5-7 minutes, or until the meringue is very thick and holds its shape.
- Spread the meringue over the loaf. Use a blowtorch to light brown before you serve
- Total Time
- 54 minutes, 59 seconds