Can't make it to the Maldives? This Chicken Curry recipe might just be the next best thing.
- 1kg (1200g) chicken thigh
4 tbsp cooking oil
1 cup onion, finely sliced
¼ cup curry leaves
1 tsp ginger, grated
4 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
1 Maldivian chili (githeyo mirus), chopped
3 pieces of Pandan (rampe/ raambaa) leaves – cut into ½ inch pieces
3 cardamom seeds
1 tsp chili powder
2 tbsp chicken curry powder
2 tsp coriander powder
2 tsp cumin powder
1 cup coconut cream/milk
1 cup water
Salt to taste
- Heat the oil, sauté the onions, garlic, ginger, curry leaves & pandan leaves.
- Add the chili powder, coriander powder cumin powder, curry powder and ½ cup water and cook on low heat, stirring frequently.
- When this curry paste starts bubbling, add the chicken pieces and toss until all chicken pieces are well coated.
- Add salt, pepper cardamoms, thin coconut cream/milk and the remaining water and cook on low heat, stirring occasionally.
- When the chicken is cooked, add the thick coconut cream/milk and simmer for about a minute.
- Main Dishes, Curries
- Total Time
- 34 minutes, 59 seconds
Image Source: Niyama Private Islands