Can't make it to the Maldives? This Chicken Curry recipe might just be the next best thing.
- 1kg (1200g) chicken thigh
- 4 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 cup onion, finely sliced
- ¼ cup curry leaves
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 4 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1 Maldivian chili (githeyo mirus), chopped
- 3 pieces of Pandan (rampe/ raambaa) leaves – cut into ½ inch pieces
- 3 cardamom seeds
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp chicken curry powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 cup coconut cream/milk
- 1 cup water
- Salt to taste
- Heat the oil, sauté the onions, garlic, ginger, curry leaves & pandan leaves.
- Add the chili powder, coriander powder cumin powder, curry powder and ½ cup water and cook on low heat, stirring frequently.
- When this curry paste starts bubbling, add the chicken pieces and toss until all chicken pieces are well coated.
- Add salt, pepper cardamoms, thin coconut cream/milk and the remaining water and cook on low heat, stirring occasionally.
- When the chicken is cooked, add the thick coconut cream/milk and simmer for about a minute.
- Main Dishes, Curries
- Total Time
- 35 minutes
Image Source: Niyama Private Islands