Executive chef Stuart Cameron shares his recipe for Tigantes from Mediterranean restaurant Morah, inside the JW Marriott Marquis Dubai. Try this side dish next time instead of regular fries, to spice up your meal.
1kg Maris Piper potatoes cut into French fries
Olive oil for frying
100g puree garlic
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup lemon juice
400ml sunflower oil
Iced water to thin out
- Place the fries under running water for 5 minutes to wash the starch off.
- Put the potatoes in a large saucepan and fill with cold tap water until potatoes are covered. Place the pan on medium heat and simmer until the potatoes are cooked but not falling apart, about 20 minutes.
- Carefully remove and place them on a cooling rack to dry out. Place the rack in the fridge to cool quickly and stop cooking process.
- Heat deep fryer with oil and heat to 130’c. Fry the fries in small batches until a light crust forms around 3 minutes. Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels.
- Put the potatoes on a cooling rack and place in fridge.
- To cook: Heat the olive oil to 350°F and fry the fries until golden and crispy.
- Remove from fryer and drain.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and za'atar.
- Side Dishes
- Mediterranean/Middle Eastern