Check out New Shanghai's recipe for Xiao Long Baos (chicken dumplings) which are available as part of the restaurant's Ramadan menu.
- 300g Chicken mince
415g Spring onion
600g Minced ginger
250g Sesame oil
10kg Chicken agar stock
100g Hong Kong flour
1 Fresh whole chicken (for the broth)
For the broth:
- In a large stock pot, place water and chicken whole, being water to boil, use mesh strainer to remove the scum on surface- this is an important step to keep the broth clear.
- Reduce the heat, add seasoning herbs and simmer for 3 hours.
- After the simmering is done add the Agar, mix until it is dissolved.
- Transfer to the fridge to cool for at least 6 hours before use.
For the filling:
- In a large mixing bowl add the chicken, all other ingredients and, ¼ the amount of the Agar broth.
- Mix for 30 minutes – make sure that all the items are well incorporated.
- Put about 90% of the flour in a large bowl. Pour about a third of the hot water in the flour.
- Use a wooden spoon to stir vigorously. Add more hot water and continue stirring.
- Add the last bit of the water and stir vigorously until the dough begins to form. Keep stirring vigorously. Stop when dough has formed.
- Dust counter with the remainder 10% of flour. Place dough on floured surface, use your hands to knead the dough for 8 -10 minutes, until it becomes soft, smooth and bounces back slowly when poked with your finger. Cover with plastic wrap and let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces. Take one piece (cover the remaining 3 pieces with plastic wrap) and roll it into a long log, about 1-1/4" diameter
- Using pastry scraper or knife, cut dough into 6-7g pieces. Work one dough ball at a time, keep the remaining covered with plastic wrap.
- Roll one of the balls between your palms to get a nice, round, smooth ball. Using a rolling pin, roll it out flat to about 3" round. (Note, you may need more flour as you are rolling out your dough. Always keep the counter dusted and a small pile of flour nearby so you can quickly nudge some over if you need it)
- Fill with 1 tablespoon of filling, pinch pleat all the way around. Repeat with rest. Make sure that you cover any dough that you aren't currently using and cover the dumplings with a towel to prevent drying.
- Place a steam paper and 8 dumplings evenly into a bamboo steamer, steam the dumplings for 5 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Total Time
- 1 hour, 29 minutes, 59 seconds