Oats Is the Best Breakfast For Swimmers
Why Oats Is the Best Breakfast For Swimmers
Porridge is an ideal breakfast for swimmers. The combination of oats and milk provides sustained energy to fuel your body for several hours and staves off hunger. In this recipe, cocoa provides flavanols, which have been shown to increase oxygen delivery to muscle during exercise and enhance performance.
- 40g oats
250ml milk of your choice
1 tsp cocoa powder
few drops vanilla extract (optional)
1⁄2 banana, sliced
Few almonds, chopped drizzle honey (optional)
- Mix the oats and milk in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, turn down the heat to a simmer and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently. Once you have the consistency you prefer, stir in the cocoa and vanilla extract (if using).
- Pour into a bowl and top with the banana slices, almonds and honey to taste (if using).
- Add a handful of fresh or frozen blueberries to the oats.
- Serve the porridge topped with a little desiccated coconut, a few chopped walnuts and a drizzle of honey.
- Omit the cocoa powder and vanilla. Cook the porridge with 1 grated apple, 1 tbsp ground axseed, a handful of raisins and 1⁄2 tsp cinnamon.
- Serve topped with chopped apple (raw or cooked) and a drizzle of honey.
- Add the juice of 1/2 orange and 1/4 tsp cinnamon to the oats. Serve topped with a square of dark chocolate and a few orange slices.
- Omit the cocoa powder and vanilla. Cook the porridge with 1 grated carrot, a handful of raisins, 1/4 tsp ginger and 1/4 tsp cinnamon.
- Serve topped with a few chopped walnuts.
- Total Time
- 4 minutes, 59 seconds
Image Source: POPSUGAR Photography