Chef Abhinav Kaushik at Mistral inside the Movenpick Ibn Battuta Gate Hotel in Dubai reveals his recipe for Moroccan dessert, Orange Blossom Cake.
- 2/3 cup softened butter, plus extra for greasing
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup golden caster sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup natural yogurt
- Zest 1 clementine
- 3 tbsp. orange blossom water
- Icing sugar, to dust
- 8 inch ring cake mould
For the cake:
- Beat the butter, flour, sugar, baking powder, eggs, yogurt, zest and 2 tbsp. orange blossom water in a large bowl with an electric whisk until lump-free.
- Spoon mixture into the cake mould, and bake at 180c for 18-22 mins until golden and risen.
- To test, poke cake with a skewer and ensure that it comes out clean (check cake after 15 mins).
- Drizzle with remaining orange blossom water while warm, then cool.
- Dust with icing sugar to serve.
For the ice cream:
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the milk, sugar and cardamom pods, and stir until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture comes to a boil.
- Cover and let it stand at room temperature until cool, about 30 minutes.
- Strain into a large bowl, discarding the cardamom pods.
- Whisk the yogurt, honey, vanilla and lemon juice into the milk mixture. Transfer to an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Desserts, Cake
- Mediterranean/Middle Eastern
- Total Time
- 49 minutes, 59 seconds