- 3 1/2 to 4 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon sugar
1 envelope instant dry yeast
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 1/2 cups water at 110°F
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
Mozzarella cheese, shredded
Pancetta, cooked and crumbled, optional
Red bell pepper, diced, optional
- Combine the bread flour, sugar, yeast, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer, and combine. While the mixer is running, add the water and 2 tablespoons of oil. Beat until the dough forms into a ball. If the dough is sticky, add additional flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough comes together in a solid ball. If the dough is too dry, add additional water, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Scrape the dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead into a smooth, firm ball.
- Grease a large bowl with the remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil, and add the dough. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and put it in a warm area to let it double in size, about 1 hour.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and divide it into 2 equal pieces. Cover each with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap and let them rest for 10 minutes.
- While the dough is rising, cover 5 to 10 ice cream cones (or cone-shaped Dixie cups) with foil; spray with nonstick cooking spray. These will be used to reinforce your pizza dough into a cone shape while baking.
- Once the dough is finished rising, cut it into strips or semicircles to begin covering the foil-covered cones. Start by folding the dough over the bottom of the cone, and work your way up to the top, smoothing the dough over the entire surface and creating a minimal overlap to ensure all seams are covered.
- Place the cones open side down on to an unlined baking sheet, and cook at 450°F for 6 to 8 minutes, until you see the cones begin to solidify their shape and the color is slightly starting to brown.
- Remove the cones from the oven, and carefully remove the foil-lined ice cream cones (or cone-shaped Dixie cups) from the inside of your pizza cone. Now begin to fill each cone with your personalized pizza cone ingredients. Layer fresh mozzarella cheese, then sauce mixed with any toppings you’d like to include in layers throughout the cone. Add some extra mozzarella to the top of the cone.
- Place your filled pizza cones in an oven-safe mug, glassware, or a specialized rack that can hold them upright, and bake for an additional 4 to 5 minutes on 450°F, or until the cheese is melted and cones are golden brown. Serve hot.
- 8 pizza cones