- 16 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
2 cups cubed cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese, divided
2 cups pizza sauce
16 slices pepperoni
Fresh basil, to garnish
- Bring salted water to a boil and cook macaroni until al dente, about 6 to 8 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bring a skillet to medium heat and melt butter. Whisk in flour and toast for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the mixture is smooth and lump-free. Slowly add the milk and keep cooking until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Add cheddar cheese, Italian seasoning, red chili flakes, and garlic powder, and mix until the cheese is melted through. Add pasta back into the sauce and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese on the bottom of a pie dish. Top each with about half of the mac and cheese and spread out evenly. Pour 1 cup of pizza sauce on top and spread it out to cover the top. Add more mozzarella cheese and garnish with pepperoni and basil. Repeat process with a second pie dish. Bake uncovered for 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
- 8 to 10 servings
- Total Time
- 44 minutes, 59 seconds