- 1 recipe (24 ounces) pizza dough (see recipe below)
Flour, for dusting
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium red onion, julienned
1/4 bunch fresh dill, minced, plus 4 small sprigs for garnish
1 cup sour cream or crème fraîche
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
16 ounces smoked salmon, sliced paper-thin
4 heaping tablespoons domestic golden caviar or salmon caviar
4 heaping teaspoons black osetra caviar
- 30 minutes before you're ready to bake the pizzas, preheat the oven to 500ºF with a pizza stone inside.
- Prepare pizza crust: Dip the ball of dough into flour, shake off the excess flour, place the dough on a clean, lightly floured surface, and start to stretch the dough. Press down on the center, spreading the dough into an 8-inch circle, with its outer rim a little thicker than the inner circle. If you find this difficult to do, use a small rolling pin to roll out the dough.
- After the dough has been rolled or stretched into four 8-inch circles, place the pizzas on a lightly floured wooden peel. Brush the center of each pizza to within 1 inch of the edge with olive oil and sprinkle it with some of red onion. Slide the pizza onto the stone and bake 8 to 12 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Make the dill cream: Mix the dill with the sour cream or crème fraîche and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Arrange the pizzas: Transfer the pizzas to heated dinner plates and spread them with the sour cream mixture.
- Divide the salmon, and arrange decoratively over the cream.
- Place a spoonful of golden caviar in the center of each pizza, then spoon a little of the black caviar into the center of the golden or salmon caviar. Cut each pizza into fourths and serve immediately.
- Main Dishes, Pizza
- 4 8-inch pizzas