- For the brownies:
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
- For the royal icing:
5 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups powdered sugar
Lemon juice (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease the swirl mold cavities.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the oil, milk, vanilla, and egg. Whisk until just combined.
- Pour the batter into swirl mold cavities leaving 1/2 inch at the top.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Let the brownies cool to room temperature, then freeze for 2 hours.
- Make royal icing: in a large bowl, whisk the egg whites and vanilla extract until frothy. Add the powdered sugar a few teaspoons at a time, mixing after each addition, to reach the desired consistency. Optional: if you want the icing to be really white, add a few drops of lemon juice when mixing the powered sugar into the egg white mixture.
- Remove brownies from the mold and pipe eyes and mouth with white royal icing using a decorating bag fitted with a #3 tip.
- Pipe eye details with black royal icing using a decorating bag fitted with a #3 tip.
- Desserts, Brownies
- 9 brownies
- Total Time
- 3 hours, 59 minutes, 59 seconds