Dubai hotel, Vida Downtown shares their recipe for Roasted Duck, a festive bird if you're not a turkey fan.
- 1 Whole Duck 3-4kg
Orange juice 1ltr – for marination
2ltr water, with 20g table salt, for boiling
20g sea salt – for roasting
20g Chinese 5 spice – for roasting
40 corn oil – for roasting
1 large orange
30g fresh thyme or lavender
150ml of honey
- Very lightly prick the duck all over with a fork.
- Place the duck in a deep bowl, then add the orange juice in the bowl, making sure the duck is fully submerged. Cover well, and place in the fridge overnight. This will allow the meat to not only soften as the acids go inside the protein, but more importantly the subtle orange flavor will also develop.
- The following day, take the duck out of the fridge, and leave it outside at room temperature for 1 hour. Keep the marinated orange juice for later use.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Place the 2ltrs of water along with the table salt in a large deep pan, bring to the boil. Carefully place the duck in the boiling water for 5 minutes. This will seal in the juices, and will help to get that amazing crispy skin on the duck.
- Carefully take the duck out of the water, then spread the corn oil all over the duck, then sprinkle the sea salt and 5 spice powder evenly all over. Then slice the whole orange in half, and place it inside the duck, along with the fresh herbs, this will give an amazing aroma to meat itself.
- Place the duck onto a roasting tray, then take the orange juice, and add into the tray, this will help to keep it moist during cooking.
- Place the duck in the oven, cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Once time is up, allow to rest for 20 minutes. As the duck is resting, glaze it with the honey.
- Serve when ready.
- Main Dishes
- Total Time
- 1 hour, 59 minutes, 59 seconds
Image Source: Vida Downtown