Sesame Chicken Recipe
Better-Than-Take-Out Sesame Chicken
Although a traditionally Asian dish, sesame chicken has become a staple in our dine-in/take-out diets! Who doesn't love the crunchy exterior mixed with that amazing, sweet sesame glaze. And now you don't have to make a run to Panda Express or call in a delivery. You can make this delicious dish at home with this recipe.
From Brown Eyed Baker
- For the marinade:
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
3 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into chunks
- For the sesame chicken:
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
1 teaspoon chili paste
1 1/2 cups cornstarch
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 egg whites, beaten
Canola oil, for frying
1 teaspoon sesame seeds, for garnish
1 bunch green onions, chopped for garnish
Red ginger, for garnish
Cilantro sprigs, for garnish
- To make the marinade: Whisk together stock, soy sauce, honey, rice wine vinegar, brown sugar, cornstarch, sesame oil, and water in a large bowl.
- In a separate large bowl, pour 6 tablespoons of the marinade over the chicken and marinate for at least 30 minutes. Reserve remaining marinade for later. Drain chicken, dry carefully, and discard the marinade in the bowl.
- To make the chicken: Heat sesame oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, ginger, chili paste, and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant. About 1 to 2 minutes. Add 2 cups of the marinade and continue cooking for about 3 to 4 minutes, or until the sauce has slightly thickened.
- In a large bowl combine cornstarch, flour, baking soda, and remaining marinade until it resembles a coarse meal.
- Dip chicken first into the egg whites, and then dredge in the cornstarch flour mixture, pressing to coat.
- Heat oil in a large heavy bottomed stock pot until it reaches approximately 350ºF or a pinch of flour thrown in starts to simmer and fry. Add chicken and fry until golden brown, approximately 2 to 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Toss chicken in warmed sauce and serve immediately garnished with sesame seeds, green onions, red ginger, and cilantro sprigs.
- Main Dishes
- 6 to 8 servings
- Total Time
- 59 minutes, 59 seconds
Image Source: POPSUGAR Photography / Nicole Iizuka