Shake Shack Burger Recipe
Wonder How Shake Shack's Burgers Taste So Good? Here's How to Do It at Home
We got our hands on the recipe for The Shack Burger from the Shake Shack: Recipes & Stories book by Randy Garutti and Mark Rosati (Clarkson Potter, $26).
The Shack Burger
- FOR THE BURGER:
4 hamburger potato buns
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
4 tablespoons ShackSauce, see recipe
4 pieces green leaf lettuce
8 slices (each 1/4-inch thick) ripe plum tomato
1 pound very cold ground beef, divided into 4 pucks
1/2 teaspoon Our Salt & Pepper Mix, see recipe
4 slices American cheese
- FOR THE SHACKSAUCE:
1/2 cup Hellmann's mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
3/4 teaspoon Heinz ketchup
1/4 teaspoon kosher dill pickling brine
Pinch of cayenne pepper
FOR THE BURGER:
- Heat a cast-iron griddle over medium-low heat until warm. Meanwhile, open the hamburger buns and brush the insides with the melted butter. A soft brush is helpful here. Place the buns buttered side down on the griddle and toast until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer buns to a plate. Spoon the sauce onto the top bun. Add a piece of the lettuce and two slices of tomato.
- Increase the heat to medium, and let the griddle heat up until hot, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Evenly sprinkle a pinch of Our Salt & Pepper Mix on top of each puck of meat.
- Place the pucks on the griddle, seasoned side down. Using a large, sturdy metal spatula, firmly smash each puck into a 1/3-inch-thick round patty. Pressing down on the spatula with another stiff spatula helps flatten the burger quickly. Evenly sprinkle with another big pinch of Our Salt & Pepper Mix.
- Cook the burgers, resisting the urge to move them, until the edges beneath are brown and crisp, and juices on the surface are bubbling hot, about 2 1/2 minutes. Slide one of the spatulas beneath the burger to release it from the griddle and scrape up the caramelized browned crust. Use the other spatula to steady the burger and keep it from sliding. Flip the burgers. Put the cheese on top and cook the burgers 1 minute longer for medium. Cook more or less depending on your preference.
- Transfer the cheeseburgers to the prepared buns, and enjoy.
FOR THE SHACK SAUCE:
- Put all the ingredients in a small mixing bowl and stir until well combined. Sauce will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to one week.
FOR THE SALT & PEPPER MIX:
- Mix 1/2 cup kosher salt with 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper.
- North American
- Total Time
- 5 minutes, 59 seconds
Image Source: Shake Shack