Qatari food is known for its Indian and North African influence, plus Arabian ingredients, so you'll find plenty of seafood, rice, dates and nuts in Qatar's cuisine. One dish that perfectly embodies the country's great use of fragrant spices like saffron, cardamom and cinnamon, is this Shrimp Jerish from the Ritz Carlton Doha's Sharq Village & Spa.
In can be on your table in 45 minutes. Ready, set, go!
- 1 kg cleaned and peeled prawns
1 kg toasted groat
3 chopped onions
3 chopped tomatoes
1 chopped ginger
4 crushed garlic cloves
3 tbsp chopped green coriander
½ tsp ground turmeric
½ tsp ground cardamom
½ tsp ground cinnamon
2½ tsp mixed spices
2 tsp salt
- Fry the onions with the garlic and ginger.
- Add the prawns and stir.
- Season with the spices, tomato and coriander.
- Pour water over the prawns and leave on low heat until it is cooked.
- Wash the groat and strain it.
- Add the groat to the prawns broth, stir, and leave on lower heat until the broth evaporates.
- Sprinkle ground cinnamon and serve.
- Main Dishes
- Mediterranean/Middle Eastern
- Total Time
- 44 minutes, 59 seconds