- 1 pint plain whole Greek yogurt
1 large cucumber, seeded and grated
1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon Champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (1 lemon)
1 tablespoon good olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh dill, minced
Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- Place the yogurt in a cheesecloth or paper-towel-lined sieve and set it over a bowl. In a separate bowl, toss cucumber with 1 tablespoon of kosher salt. Place it in a paper-towel-lined sieve and set it over a bowl. Allow both bowls to rest in the fridge for 30 minutes to 1 hour to drain.
- Transfer the thickened yogurt to a large bowl. Squeeze as much liquid from the cucumber as you can and add the cucumber to the yogurt.
- Mix in the sour cream, vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, dill, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper.
- You can serve it immediately or allow the tzatziki to sit in the refrigerator for a few hours for the flavors to blend. Serve chilled or at room temperature with Greek cuisine.
- Condiments/Sauces, Other
- Makes 2 1/2 cups