Chef Erin McKenna has earned legions of fans creating gluten-free and vegan desserts at her shop in New York City's Lower East Side. Erin's company, originally called Babycakes, has been renamed Erin McKenna's Bakery, and now she's sharing some of her wisdom about gluten-free baking in a new cookbook called Bread & Butter. We learned how to make one recipe, a delicious vegan and gluten-free lemon cookie, during a visit to her NYC headquarters.
Erin loves to use dry ingredients from Bob's Red Mill.
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1 cup vegan powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
3/4 cup melted coconut oil, cooled slightly to room temperature
3 teaspoons unsweetened applesauce
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Combine the gluten-free flour, brown rice flour, powdered sugar, salt, and xanthan gum in a mixer, and mix until well blended. Mixing with a whisk in a bowl is also fine.
- Add the coconut oil, applesauce, vanilla extract, and lemon extract to the dry mix. Mix until completely blended and the dough is even.
- Roll the dough into a log on a floured surface. Cover in plastic wrap, and refrigerate until firm.
- Roll the dough out flat between 2 pieces of wax or parchment paper. Use cookie cutters to make shapes.
- Cook at 350°F for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Let cookies cool on a rack.
- Desserts, Cookies
- 15-20 cookies