Sure, rattan furniture had its biggest moment in the late '80s, but if you still associate it with The Golden Girls, then you're missing out. Made from fibrous palms, rattan's durable, textural nature is ideal for adding a dose of warmth to a room and is more stylistically adaptable than you may think. Instead of heavy furniture sets, though, we're honing in on sleeker accent pieces, like Serena & Lily's South Seas Bar Cart ($395).
Treat it as a portable console by styling it with trays, linens, and decorative objects in addition to booze and glassware. We'll show you how this bar cart can transition from bohemian femme to classically nautical and cheerfully modern, just by switching out accessories.
First Look: Bohemian Femme
- Butterfly Plate ($128): No boho bar would be complete without at least one butterfly motif. A black-and-white color palette keeps it from feeling too sweet.
- Peacock Lacquered Wood Tray ($163): If you're a sucker for Chinoiserie-inspired wallpaper but aren't prepared for such a splurge, then capture the look with this gorgeous tray in vibrant shades of canary yellow and teal.
- Effervesce Stemless Wineglass ($8): The pale aqua color and bumpy surface of these glasses make them more appealing than standard stemware.
- Key Bottle Opener ($8): What looks like a beautiful vintage find works undercover as a handy bar tool.
- Ikat Diamond Napkin Set ($16, originally $20): The smoky hue and global pattern of these napkins work especially well with the bar's exotic theme.
Keep reading to see two more looks we're loving!
Second Look: Classically Nautical
- Polished Aluminum Champagne/Wine Bucket ($15): Chill your bottles with an ice bucket that feels casual yet refined.
- Tortoise Shell Highball Glass ($60 for four): One of our favorite neutrals, tortoise shell can make even the simplest highball look high-class.
- Sailor Napkins ($10): Navy-and-white stripes lend a crisp, nautical feel without looking too theme-oriented.
- Knot Bottle Opener ($28): A simple knot looks especially luxe in warm bronze.
- Washpot Plant Set ($50): Use the olive plant for decorative purposes, but experiment with adding freshly muddled rosemary to your cocktails.
Third Look: Cheerfully Modern
- Mirage Ice Bucket ($58): An homage to rattan's midcentury allure, this colorful ice bucket adds a pop of groovy graphics.
- Pop Rocks Glass ($14): Choose from eight hues to complement your bar's color palette.
- Very Merry Beverage Napkins ($4 for 20): With a script that looks like you could have scrawled it with a Sharpie, these napkins add a playful, personal touch.
- Fjord Sprout Green Tray ($24, originally $50): Curled ends give this tray a fun, sculptural shape.
- Apato Bottle Opener ($50): Minimal but glam, this bottle opener is a bar tool worth investing in.