We already know that crossing the street at the wrong time or in the wrong place could land you with a AED200 bill to pay in Dubai, and now the emirate is reminding everyone that there's more where that came from. Littering the streets with pesky chewing gum could mean you're slapped with fine that's more than double if caught. So think twice before flicking the stuff away right before you tuck into that apple, it could mean your wallet is AED500 lighter.
It's all part of Dubai Municipality's plan to keep the expat-heavy city looking clean and a reminder to people of all backgrounds to respect each other.
صغيرة بحجمها كبيرة بتأثيرها السلبي على مظهر المدينة، تجنب إلقاء بقايا اللبان على الطرقات لتتجنب مخالفة قدرها 500 درهم. pic.twitter.com/qb5hhPHiF6— بلدية دبي | Dubai Municipality (@DMunicipality) June 30, 2017
Other things you may have to pay up for include chewing gum on the Metro, urinating in public (AED500) and spItting in public (AED1,000).
Here's what could land you in hot water and the fines attached to them:
- Throwing wastes on the general roads (AED500).
- Dropping any solid or liquid materials from vehicles on the general roads, besides carrying or transporting scattered materials from the open vehicles without covering the them (AED500).
- Urinating or excreting in facilities not designated for such purposes (AED500).
- Spitting and spluttering in public places (AED500).
- Spitting the gum remaining or its wastes in the public places (AED1,000).
- Disposing of the debris and wastes of building, demolition wastes of technical and production processes of the companies, factories and establishments in places other than designated (AED5,000).
- Not taking the required steps and procedures for preventing the leakage or flow of wastewaters from the building or the falling of the same from tankers on the general roads (AED10,000).
- Disposing of the used oils in drainage or septic tanks or flushing the same on the pavements or roads (AED3,000).
- Throwing oils or maritime means wastes in seawater or seashores or creek water or ports (AED500).
- Throwing wastes of trees and gardens in places not specified for the same purpose by the competent and concerned authorities (AED500).
- Flushing vehicle washing water in places not specified by the competent and concerned authorities (AED100).
- Leakage of conditioner water or any kind of water on the pavements and roads (AED100).
- Disposing of wastes by the way of open burning (AED1,000).
- Leaving, storing, putting or hanging any goods, materials or any other things in public places or roofs of houses or balconies in a way deforming the general appearance in the Emirate and its brilliant features, buildings facades and balconies (AED200).
- Leaving vehicles or equipment in public places carelessly in a way which may hinder the movement of traffic or pedestrians or may deform the general appearance or damage the requirements of general health, safety or environment (AED200).
- Not providing room or space inside the building provided with containers for putting wastes as per the terms, conditions and specifications set out by the competent and concerned authorities (AED1,000).
- Not providing containers for storing the wastes inside the building or taking out the storing containers and returning the same to their place directly or as per the directions given, or non‐carrying out maintenance works needed for the storing means (AED500).
- Not carrying out internal cleaning works in the building and not supervising the same in line with the hygiene and environment rules (AED500).
- Not providing containers for storing the wastes by the private companies and establishments, trading centers, residential communities and hotels which are resulted from their activities in conformity with the stipulations and standards approved in this respect and as determined by the competent and concerned authorities (AED1,000).
- Not committing to the directions and instructions stipulated by the competent and concerned authorities which require changing the wastes containers if the quantity of the wastes resulted from practicing the activities is over the capacity of the provided containers and that the wastes constitute risk and danger to the public health (AED1,000).
- Not applying hygiene program to the external yards in the public and private parking servicing the same and not providing dustbins required and not supervising the act of discharging and cleanness of the same on a daily basis (AED500).
- Practicing an activity related to gathering, storing, transporting or reusing, recycling or processing any wastes made by third parties or providing cleaning services in public services without obtaining a prior permit from the competent and concerned authorities or non‐complying with the standards and conditions stipulated for such purpose (AED5,000).
- Putting any materials may cause damages to wastes containers or the waste transport vehicles or may constitute risk to the health and safety of the laborers who gather the wastes, transport and dispose of the same (AED1,000).
- Transporting or changing the place of the municipality waste containers without obtaining the approval from the competent and concerned authorities (AED200).
- Digging up the contents of the municipality waste containers for getting recyclable materials or any further wastes (AED500).
- Damaging waste containers and the fences surrounding the same or the solid floorings upon which they lean (AED1,000).
- Parking the vehicles or leaving equipment or tools before the containers hindering putting the wastes by individuals or discharging their contents by municipality vehicles (AED1,000).
- Putting wastes carried by the vehicles of private companies in municipality containers (AED1,000).
- Not placing out a plan for reducing the wastes or recycling the same if it becomes evident to the competent and concerned authorities that the activity practiced by an establishment produces a large quantity of wastes (AED1,000).
- Importing, dealing with, holding, keeping or taking the gum remaining whether for personal use or for the use of third parties with or without consideration and this includes betel leaves which are used for making the gums (AED50,000).
- Digging up the municipality waste containers or their contents (AED500).
- Dropping any solid or liquid materials from the readymade concrete transport vehicles during driving along the general road or disposing of the same in places other that designated (AED50,000).
- Disposing of wastewater in any manner in the open places or in places other than designated by the competent and concerned authorities (AED50,000).