Cleaning in the Dishwasher
30 Surprising Things You Can Clean in Your Dishwasher
Your dishwasher isn't just for washing dishes! There are several other household items that can enjoy a cleaning alongside your plates. Make it easier on yourself, and add them in your dishwasher the next time you are doing a load. They will come out of the dishwasher sanitized as well as wonderfully clean.
- Range fan grills: These are probably one of the greasiest spots in your home. Remove the range fan grills, and wash them in the dishwasher. It's that easy.
- Keys: Toss your basic metal keys in the dishwasher for a cleaning that also leaves them sanitized. And it's safe to wash them as often as you like.
- Contact case: Throw your contact case in the dishwasher once a month to keep it nice and clean.
- Facial brush: If you use a facial brush with a removable brush, you can clean it monthly in your dishwasher.
- Makeup brushes: Place your makeup brushes in the silverware holder once a month for a thorough cleaning and sanitizing. Allow them to fully dry before using them.
- Hairbrushes and combs: Remove hair and add them to your dishwasher, which removes buildup and bacteria.
- Eyebrow brush: Give it a quick cleaning and de-clumping of makeup, and add it to the silverware holder of the dishwasher once a month.
- Nail clippers: A smart way to sanitize and clean your clippers. Add the clippers to your silverware holder and dry it after washing to prevent rusting.
- Tweezers: Tweezers are also safe to clean in your dishwasher.
- Plastic child toys: If you have a little one, you should know that plastic toys are safe to wash on the top rack of your dishwasher. It will leave them free of germs and grime.
- Duster: Have a fabric removable duster head? It's safe to toss in the dishwasher. And this way, it doesn't get lost in the washing machine.
- Cabinet knobs: Most ceramic and metal cabinet knobs are safe to wash in the dishwasher.
- Dog toys: Toss your pup's plastic chew toys on the top rack of your dishwasher to clean off all that slobber.
- Razor: Give your razor a deep cleaning, and add it to the silverware tray of your dishwasher.
- Hair ties: Your hair ties will be fresh and free of buildup, ready to hold your hair with style.
- Removable cup holders: Your cup holders in your car? If they're removable, they are safe to wash in the dishwasher.
- Mop covers: Mop covers can also get a quick cleaning in the dishwasher, cleaning without tons of twisting and tumbling in the washing machine, which cuts its life span.
- Sponges: Make your sponges last longer and toss them in the dishwasher for a sanitizing clean.
- Refrigerator shelves: The shelves of your fridge are also dishwasher safe. If they fit, add them to your load.
- Range knobs: Remove the knobs from your range, and give them a deep cleaning in the dishwasher.
- Soap dishes: Soap dishes in the bathroom or kitchen are also safe to wash in the dishwasher. If they are plastic, they should be kept on the top rack.
- Toothbrushes and toothbrush holders: Your toothbrush is safe to add to your next load of dishes. And ceramic or plastic holders can be washed on the top rack.
- Light switch plates: Your light switch plates could use a good cleaning. Remove them and add them to your next load of dishes.
- Baseball caps: Keep your baseball hats clean. Place them on the top rack of your dishwasher. They won't get bent like in the washing machine. Air-dry, and your cap is ready to wear.
- Pet dishes: Keep your pets happy, and wash their dishes in the dishwasher.
- Flip-flops: Place plastic flip-flops on the top rack of the dishwasher for a cleaning, but avoid washing Crocs or sandals with leather straps.
- Mouth guards: Teeth and mouth guards are safe to clean in the dishwasher, leaving them bacteria-free.
- Small window screens: If they fit, washing window screens in the dishwasher is an easy cleaning solution.
- Showerhead: If you have a removable showerhead, add them to your dishwasher every three months for a deep cleaning that also breaks up hard-water buildup.
- Desk organizers: Your metal desk organizers can also get added to your next load of dishes. Place them on the top rack and run your dishwasher.
Image Source: POPSUGAR Photography / Sarah Lipoff