Thirty one made the Forbes World's Richest Arabs list this year, their total wealth combined equating to $76.7 billion.
For 2018 though, something is very different. If you look closely, you'll see that there are no Saudis on the list, and it's not because there aren't any Saudi billionaires in the world. In fact, in previous years, Saudis have dominated the list but Forbes has said that, after the detainment and seizure of assets of some Saudi billionaires (a 3-month spell that began in November 2017, with the last detainees released end of January 2018 and a rumored $100 million seized in assets), they chose to leave them off.
With seven entries from UAE and Lebanon respectively, the two countries are in the lead. Egypt trails right behind with 6 billionaires.
Egyptian Nassef Sawiris, of OCI and Orascom Construction, worth $6.7 billion, is at the top of the list, taking the place of Saudi Prince Al Waleed Bin Talal.
The 31 Billionaires' businesses encompass a diverse range of industries, including; auto dealerships, real estate, retail, hospitals and investments.
Below is the complete list:
- Nassef Sawiris, $6.6 B, Construction, Chemicals
- Abdulla Bin Ahmad Al Ghurair, $5.9 B, Diversified
- Majid Al Futtaim, $4.6 B, Real Estate, Retail
- Hussain Sajwani, $4.1 B, Real Estate
- Issad Rebrab, $4 B, Food
- Naguib Sawiris, $4 B, Telecom
- Suhail Bahwan, $3.9 B, Diversified
- Abdulla Al Futtaim, $3.3 B, Auto Dealers, Investments
- Taha Mikati, $2.8 B, Telecom
- Mohamed Mansour, $2.7 B, Diversified
- Najib Mikati, $2.7 B, Telecom
- Saeed Bin Butti Al Qebaisi, $2.7 B, Hospitals, Investments
- Aziz Akhannouch, $2.2 B, Petroleum, Diversified
- Bahaa Hariri, $2.1 B, Real Estate, Investments, Logistics
- Yaseen Mansour, $1.9 B, Diversified
- Saif Al Ghurair, $1.9 B, Diversified
- Mohamed Al Fayed, $1.6 B, Retail, Investments
- Robert Mouawad, $1.6 B, Fine Jewelry
- Othman Benjelloum, $ 1.6 B, Banking, Insurance
- Saad Hariri, $1.5 B, Construction, Investments
- Faisal Bin Qassim Al Thani, $ 1.6 B, Hotels, Diversified
- P.N.C. Menon, $1.5 B, Real Estate
- Khalifa Bin Butti Al Muhairi, $1.5 B, Hospitals, Investments
- Youssef Mansour, $1.4 B, Diversified
- Bassam Alghanim, $1.4 B, Diversified
- Kutayba Alghanim, $1.4 B, Diversified
- Ayman Hariri, $1.3 B, Construction, Investments
- Fahd Hariri, $1.3 B, Construction, Investments
- Fawzi Al-Kharafi, $1.2 B, Diversified
- Mohannad Al-Kharafi, $1.2 B, Diversified
- Hamad bin Jassim bin Jaber Al Thani, $1.2 B, Investments