This Hashtag Helps Fight Misconceptions About The Hijab
In a new effort to promote diversity and showcase the beauty of Muslim women around the world, The Huffington Post is prompting readers to upload photos of themselves wearing their hijabs using the hashtag #HijabToMe. The Huffington Post asks women to "Show us how you wear your hijab along with a short description of what it means to you to help us illustrate the vibrancy and diversity of women who don it." Photos can be posted on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
Since the hashtag was created two days ago, women have been turing to social media to share photos of themselves wearing their hijabs, and their reasons for sporting the garment are both thoughtful and moving. See some of the most inspiring responses below, and click through the gallery to see more photos and stories.
- #HijabToMe is a reminder that modesty does not limit my aspirations, ignorance does.
- #hijabtome is pursuing the entertainment industry and bringing my own unique voice to the table.
- #HijabToMe is running my own businesses in an image-driven industry while inspiring other lady entrepreneurs to empower themselves and pursue their dreams.
- #HijabToMe is an everyday reminder of who I aspire to be. It keeps me in moral and mental check. It encourages me to put my best self out there. I love that Hijab makes it clear that I am Muslim because had I not been wearing it, it would've been hard to know. It's an opportunity for me to stand in opposition to the regime of power that has misconstrued and negotiated the identity of Muslim women for so long.
- #HijabToMe is a source of empowerment. A constant reminder that I'm striving beyond this worldly life.
- #HijabToMe is my protection, my bodyguard, my armor.