For those of us who love to reread the Harry Potter series, no matter what day of the year it is, we know that there are certain quotes that just get you every time. But ever wonder which quotes other readers love to revisit? The Amazon Kindle team looked at data from all the Harry Potter books to find out, compiling the most popular highlights of all time. While I'm not surprised to see several inspiring Dumbledore quotes in the top 10, I am surprised to see two quotes from the J.K. Rowling-approved screenplay Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, a controversial addition to the Harry Potter canon.
Here are the most popular Harry Potter quotes, according to Amazon — did your favorite make the cut?
- "It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." — Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- "After all, to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure." — Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
- "Harry, there is never a perfect answer in this messy, emotional world. Perfection is beyond the reach of humankind, beyond the reach of magic. In every shining moment of happiness is that drop of poison: the knowledge that pain will come again. Be honest to those you love, show your pain. To suffer is as human as to breathe." — Harry Potter and the Cursed Child — Parts One and Two
- ". . . to have been loved so deeply, even though the person who loved us is gone, will give us some protection forever." — Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
- "Always use the proper name for things. Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself." — Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
- ". . . humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them." — Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
- "There is no good and evil, there is only power, and those too weak to seek it." — Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
- "Youth cannot know how age thinks and feels. But old men are guilty if they forget what it was to be young." — Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- "Indifference and neglect often do much more damage than outright dislike." — Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- "The truth is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution." — Harry Potter and the Cursed Child — Parts One and Two
And if you're an Amazon Prime member, you can read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone for free!