How Can You Get More Social Media Followers?
10 Simple Ways to Grow Your Social Media Presence in 2018
If 2016 was all about tasteful branding and the expansion of one's social media presence, 2017 will be the year we actually do it. With so many users out there, it may seem difficult to drastically grow your following across Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, and other platforms. In actuality, all it takes is some thoughtful planning. Ahead, we've listed a few simple ways you can increase your presence . . . without actually paying for followers. (Seriously, don't do that.)
- Try posting consistently: It's easy for a tweet or Instagram photo to get lost in the feed. Increase your visibility by sticking to a consistent and regular schedule. On the other hand, you don't want to bombard your readers, but a few tweets a day and an Instagram post every two days should do the trick.
- Actually use hashtags: I know what you're thinking — this is an obvious point. If you aren't already, however, tacking on a few hashtags to every post can really affect your reach. Also, make sure to research the hashtags you're using so that they correspond to the correct hashtag that's actually trending.
- Create your own hashtag: While it's good to use hashtags that are trending across the internet, think about starting your own, too! The tag can be a witty play on your name and will group together photos with a similar theme.
- Download photo editing apps: Photography apps — like VSCO Cam and Snapseed — offer additional filters that can give your Instagram feed a cohesive and polished look. The best part? A lot of the great ones are free! For more apps, click here.
- Consider your brand: Take this tip with a grain of salt. We recognize that individuals are incredibly dynamic and multidimensional, so we wouldn't want to encourage you whittling your very being down to a singular "brand." You should, however, have your tweets and captions match your personal voice in real life. Your online presence will end up feeling more authentic as a result.
- Don't exist in a bubble: While you may be focusing on ways to improve your own presence, think about your followers and the pages that you follow. It's important to interact and engage with others to really grow your network.
- Pay attention to when you're posting: Post something new during peak hours, where people are more likely to be online. While not everyone regularly checks their feed during the workday, users are usually more active after work and later in the evenings.
- Cross-promote your many pages: This one is simple: make sure to promote all of your different handles somewhere in your bio.
- Don't be camera shy: According to social media scientist Dan Zarrella, pictures with faces in them receive more engagement than pictures without.
- Try new features early: Don't wait to jump on new features like Instagram Stories or Facebook Live. By being one of the first users to utilize new tools, you'll not only have less competition, you'll also make yourself seem ahead of the curve.
Image Source: POPSUGAR Photography / Sheila Gim